DAVID REDOR (Crazy DAVE) Site officiel - Official website

David REDOR informations

52 marathons within one year of United States of America

[EXTRA] David Redor’s first EXTRA run of his 2016 US Marathon Challenge: Beautiful day for running the Delaware Marathon in Wilmington

David told us how difficult the Delaware marathon was but how much he enjoyed the wonderful ambiance of this run.

The good weather helped David Redor to enjoy his first EXTRA run in the US despite a temporary energy slump at km 26 which forced him to psych himself up for some six miles to get the job done. Redor had run six marathons in three weeks and this finally took its toll. He dedicated this run to his 94 year old grandmother who just came out of the hospital after a difficult surgery. We’d like to wish her a speedy recovery.

This is David Redor’s story…

I went to bed very early last night but woke up at 12:30 a.m. and could not go back to sleep. I took my food supplement Immun’Âge®, ate breakfast quickly and got dressed. I dressed light that day as it was 52° F outside with expected 68° F at the marathon’s end. I walked to the start area ten minutes away. Breakfast was ready there for us: I enjoyed a cookie with a glass of milk and got to the start corral.

At 6:50 the national anthem was beautifully performed a Capella and at 7:00 the run started. The run consisted of two half marathon distance loops. We started from the Wilmington Riverfront neighborhood – a business and entertainment center – where we ran on a pedestrian sidewalk along the Christina River. Quite a nice feeling!

My pace was above 8:45 per mile. My legs and body were in charge and I just let my mind relax. The run was friendly and the weather perfect, which gave me time to enjoy the beautiful morning.

We ran back to the start and finish area before heading back towards downtown. I reached km 5 in 27 minutes. We ran a small hill up and down to the very pretty Brandywine Park on the Brandywine River. We crossed the swinging wooden bridge over the Brandywine River, a suspension bridge that resonated under the runners’ strides and gave us the impression to be on a trampoline. The other riverfront jogging path was more or less a natural path and we got out of the park to head up a long uphill stretch.

I passed km 10 in 57 minutes. We ran downhill again before heading up a long stretch to an extremely well-manicured residential neighborhood with superb mansions and magnificent yards.

At km 14, I met Yves, a runner from Strasbourg, France, who lives in Philadelphia. We talked for a while, and, as we ran at the same pace, kept each other company until the half marathon.

I reached km 15 in 1:30 quite happy with my 9:40 per mile pace at this point.

Despite the hills, everything felt alright with well-wishers on the roadside and very beautiful scenery.

We ran a long stretch uphill to return downtown before reaching the half marathon point. I passed km 20 in 2:04 and the half marathon in 2:10. I said ‘bye’ to Yves who headed towards the half marathon finish line and started my second lap.

I reached km 25 in 2:47, but, at km 26, I was all of a sudden hit by an energy slump, started yawning and could not keep the pace. This was a bad sign. It meant that the marathon that I ran on Thursday fatigued me way more than I had thought.  I decided against taking any risk to prevent any physical problems. I waited, walked a little while, ate twice more at each food stop and walked all the uphills. This energy slump happened at the wrong time just as the wind started blowing, with some cold and strong wind gusts as the sun was not heating us up yet. It was better to not linger.

I reached km 30 in 3:35. The run kept being pleasant and I got a lot of encouragement and congratulations, but I was in slow motion. I took my time shooting videos and taking pictures.

I reached km 35 in 4:20, managed to speed up a bit on the flat and downhill stretches, and reached km 40 in 5:00. After a last long uphill, I headed down towards the finish line that I passed in 5:19:23 (official time 5:21:13). There was a great ambiance there with a lot of food: pizza, hamburgers, pasta, chips, pies, bananas, champagne, beers and soda pop!

It was a very pleasant marathon to run even though it was not that easy due to some steep uphills. However, the ambiance was great, the neighborhoods we crossed superb and the organization really up to the task. They did a really great job. Volunteers cheered us up all the time. Many thanks again to all the policemen and -women who not only made sure we were safe but also always encouraged us with a smile and a kind word.

As you guess, it’s time for me to rest this week after my six marathons in the last three weeks: a bit tiring, wouldn’t you say!

I’m going to visit good friends in the countryside to celebrate this run and my 80th visit to the incredible city of New York.

Finally, I would like to dedicate this run to my grand-mother who just came out of the hospital after a hip and elbow surgery. I send her all my love. Going through such an ordeal at 94 is very difficult.

Let’s meet next Saturday in South Dakota. Have a nice week.



Leave a Reply

You are donating to : David Redor Challenge

How much would you like to donate?
$10 $20 $30
Would you like to make regular donations? I would like to make donation(s)
How many times would you like this to recur? (including this payment) *
Name *
Last Name *
Email *
Additional Note