DAVID REDOR (Crazy DAVE) Site officiel - Official website

David REDOR informations

52 marathons within one year of United States of America

David Redor – Rasta Rockett costume for the Ocean State Marathon in Narragansett, RI! Happy Halloween! [44]

October 30, 2016. On Halloween day, David Redor ran the 44th marathon of his 2016 challenge, i.e. 52 marathons in 52 weeks in the United States.  However, fired up by his passion for running, David had participated in other marathons prior to his run in Narragansett… This is the story of his run in Rhode Island.

I had quite a busy week: six marathons in seven days including three with a first place win and a first place for a quadruple marathon in San Antonio, TX. After one day traveling by plane, bus, and train to get to Rhode Island, only four hours of sleep and a three-hour drive, I finally arrived at the beach of Narragansett Bay to run the Ocean State Marathon.

The weather was a bit cold that morning, but the conditions were perfect for a marathon. I did not eat any breakfast as I had a copious meal the evening before, but I took three little packets of Immun’Âge® as always before a run. I picked up my runner’s pack and bib and went back to my car where I kept warm while getting ready for the run. I took a few beautiful pictures of the rising sun. I then went to the start line where there were more than a hundred runners. It was Halloween and I was wearing a Rasta man costume. After the national anthem, the race started: it was 7:30 a.m.

We started on a bike lane along the main road. Cones separated the runners from the traffic and electronic signs warned drivers.  We left the road at one point to run a few steep uphills. I had had quite an exhausting week and my legs felt heavy. We came back to the main road for a long straight stretch. I reached km 5 in 33 minutes. At km 6, we headed toward the ocean, passing through a residential neighborhood with magnificent houses. It was the most enjoyable stretch of the run despite a few steep hills.

We ran for a while along the ocean where I stopped to take a few pictures. The scenery was wonderful. The ambiance was nice even though there were not too many spectators. However, volunteers were there cheering for us, as always.  I reached km 10 in 1:07. At km 12, we went back to the main road for a long straight stretch. The course was flat and fast. My pace was steady and I reached km 15 in 1:42. After a long straight stretch, we left the main road for a small country road where there was no one. We ran hills down, flat stretches and a few light uphills: I felt comfortable with my pace.  I reached km 20 in 2:16 and the half-marathon in 2:23. Then, we ran for two kilometers on a road full of traffic, but we were still separated from the cars by cones. We left this road to run a loop in very calm neighborhoods.

At km 23, I met again with Larry and Jeff who had taken advantage of an early start. We chatted a little and I went on. I reached km 25 in 2:50. We ran back on the main road for one kilometer before turning again toward the nice small country road. At km 28, I passed Rose, Jeff’s friend. After a quick hello, I went on passing more and more runners. While I was keeping a steady pace, many runners had slowed down and were walking. At km 30 which I reached in 3:29, we took the main road again for a few kilometers. The ambiance at Aid stations was still great and people loved my costume. We left this road again for a quiet, small country road. Police officers were monitoring each crossing and, as always, encouraged us.

We were running in a very peaceful countryside, far from the cars: perfect conditions for runners. Full of fall colors, the scenery was beautiful and I took beautiful pictures. I went on passing many runners who were walking and reached km 35 in 4:05. At this point, I knew that I was going to finish under five hours, something I did not think possible in the morning as I had been exhausted. However, as my spirits were high and I was more than ever eager to run, my fatigue had obviously vanished….

We ran the last kilometers back on the main road heading toward the finish line at the beach side. I reached km 40 in 4:40 and crossed the finish line in 4:56:37 (actual marathon distance in 4:54:55). I got my medal and grabbed something to eat. I stayed at the beach for a while as the weather was quite enjoyable then.

This race was quite pleasant despite a few difficulties. The course was mostly flat and fast, the ambiance good, and the countryside very peaceful. It was a beautiful and friendly little marathon. At last I have managed to run a marathon on the East coast in perfect conditions! You might remember how difficult the conditions had been for the other marathons I ran this year on the East coast. What a hard time I had! I really deserve six days of complete rest at my friends Peggy and Thierry! I hope to gain a few kilos: they’ll take good care of me with delicious home cooking.

Next weekend I will run two marathons: The famous Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on Saturday, November 5, one of the 20 largest marathons in the US, and the Stony Creek Marathon in Utica, MI, on Sunday 6.

Have a nice week.


Leave a Reply

You are donating to : David Redor Challenge

How much would you like to donate?
$10 $20 $30
Would you like to make regular donations? I would like to make donation(s)
How many times would you like this to recur? (including this payment) *
Name *
Last Name *
Email *
Additional Note