DAVID REDOR (Crazy DAVE) Site officiel - Official website

David REDOR informations

52 marathons within one year of United States of America

David Redor – 43rd marathon of his 2016 Challenge in Atlantic City, New Jersey!

Back from Canada where he had run the Toronto marathon on October 16, David Redor went to Atlantic City, NJ, to run the 43rd marathon of his 2016 challenge.

But, before, he decided to stop at the Joint Base McGuire–Dix–Lakehurst, also located in New Jersey, where he ran a marathon in 4h31. Our champion took part of an historical moment as it was the first time for a marathon to take place in this military facility and for civilians to be allowed in the base.

 David Redor surprised us often during the last few months, running several extra marathons in addition to the 52 marathons of his 2016 Challenge.  As of today, he has already run 57 marathons.  Is David carried away by his passion for running? He is not done surprising us. Meanwhile, here is the story of his 43rd marathon in the 43rd State of his challenge: New Jersey…

 Sunday, October 23, 2016 – Atlantic City marathon: A beautiful run in the wind!

 I woke up well rested at 6:30 despite the crazy run in terrible weather conditions that I ran the day before at Joint Base Mc Guire-Dix-Lakehurst, crossing the finish line in 4:31. After my three packets of Immun’Âge and a light breakfast, I drove to the start of the marathon and parked at the Bally’s Casino parking. The weather was beautiful but rather cold, and as the day before, a strong wind was blowing. I stayed warm as long as possible in the Casino before going to the starting line at 7:50. I was supposed to meet Yves there. We had run together in Mai in Wilmington, DE, but he was nowhere to be found.  I learned later that he arrived just in time for the start. The gun went off at 8’o clock after the national anthem. There was a great ambiance with a lot of participants for both the marathon and half-marathon.

We ran the Boardwalk northbound, went through downtown for a while before heading toward the casinos. The course was fast and flat except for two uphill expressway ramps. I reached km 5 in 30 minutes. I was keeping the pack pace. We ran around a huge casino before heading back downtown. I reached km 10 in 1:02: so far so good…

We ran in a few neighborhoods north of the city and at km 13 we went back south again on the Boardwalk. The stretch was quite pleasant with hardly anyone there and the great feeling of running on the wooden boardwalk. Strong wind gusts were whipping our faces and that, however, was quite annoying.

At km 15 (reached in 1:35) we ran past the finish line where we met the first half-marathoners. At km 19, I saw Yves who quickly said ‘Hi’ before resuming his half-marathon that he finished in 1:59: Great job! We left the Boardwalk for Atlantic Avenue which runs parallel to the beach, and we got to face fierce wind gusts for five kilometers. A 30mph wind was swirling, tossing us, and  even halting us sometimes. I reached km 20 in 2:09 and the half-marathon in 2:17.

The wind slowed me down on this avenue that seemed endless. Fortunately, we were encouraged at the aid stations by young volunteers and the good ambiance they created. At km 24, we turned around and ran with the wind, which was much easier.  I tried to make up for the time lost before but the wind was too violent!  I reached km 25 in 2:45. At km 28 we left the avenue to run on the Boardwalk for one kilometer before heading back to Atlantic Avenue for the last loop. Four more kilometers of pure nightmare ahead of us! At one point, I bent over almost idle with the wind blocking my moving on. The wind gusts we had to deal with were really astounding! I reached km 30 in 3:21.  At km 33, we were all happy to turn around and run again with the wind.

A runner had been playing cat and mouse with me for a while. He passed me at km 35 (that I had reached in 3:59). At this point, I knew that I was going to finish the race in less than five hours and I was very happy about it. At km 37, we ran again on the Boardwalk which was to lead us to the finish line.  I passed many runners who were in trouble, including the runner who had passed me earlier. He was wearing a headset. He saw me and sped up to try to outrun me. But I knew from experience that he had already given all he had. I reached km 40 in 4:40. I decided to play the game, ran close behind him, bringing him to try to go faster. But as I thought, he had, indeed, reached his limits. I sped up and passed him. I crossed the finish line in 4:55:04 (marathon distance in 4:53:28), got my medal and grabbed something to eat.

You don’t get beer in every marathon, but that day each finisher got seven beer samples to try. I sat down at a table to ‘test’ them! They all tasted great! Really nice after a run! The wind was starting to die and the sun felt warm.

I went to the finish line to cheer the last runners still arriving. The runner that I had outrun in the last kilometer shook my hand and congratulated me for my final rush. Really cool!  I saw Christelle with whom I ran marathons in Georgia and New Mexico. She had just completed her 52nd marathon of the year. Her performance is really impressive and I congratulated her warmly. We chatted for a while before she hit the road back to North Carolina.  I went to the beach and headed to my hotel for a hot shower.

The run was beautiful. Everything was perfect besides the wind! But who’s to blame for that, right?

I will be in Narragansett, RI, next Sunday, October 30, for the 44th marathon in the 44th state of my 2016 Challenge… But during the week, I’ll stop over in San Antonio, TX, for the 5th Annual Count Dracula 8 days of Marathon where I will run… four races.

Happy Halloween!

Leave a Reply

You are donating to : David Redor Challenge

How much would you like to donate?
$10 $20 $30
Would you like to make regular donations? I would like to make donation(s)
How many times would you like this to recur? (including this payment) *
Name *
Last Name *
Email *
Additional Note